La Mariposa en la Pared

The everyday experiences of latino immigrants through the eyes of an outsider. Las vidas típicas de unos inmigrantes latinos a través de los ojos de una forastera.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate NY, United States

"To me it’s always interesting when you get accepted somewhere you don’t really belong. It’s interesting when people open up and let you in their world." - Gilles Mingasson

Friday, December 07, 2007

Cantando Para No Llorar

La música es el arte más directo, entra por el oído y va al corazón.
- Magdalena Martínez

It's happened again.

Few things are sadder to me than the murder of people who make it their livelihoods to enrich our lives with music. I never knew Sergio Gomez, Zayda Peña, or Jose Luis Aquino. As for their art, I was familiar with only Sergio's music.

The loss of someone with whom you've become familiar through the appreciation of his or her music is a loss that feels more personal than it seems it should. Their music has become part of us as it has accompanied episodes in our lives. Their songs belong to our memories, and carry special meanings assigned by our experiences. When we have raised our imperfect voices with their polished ones, learning the lyrics by heart and matching them verse for verse, grito por grito, we begin to feel like we know them in a way. Certain songs evoke feelings from long ago as strongly as if I felt those feelings just a moment ago. If scent is the most powerful conjurer of memory, music has to be a close second.

The music that once made me smile now makes me sad.

All I want to do is toss back shots of tequila and cry. I want to spend the whole night drinking and listening to music with my friends.

I want to properly mourn this loss.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Powerfully-written post. I was feeling pretty depressive around the loss of Antonio Aguilar, as it reminded me of times with my nana as a young child, so can relate.

The voices have been silenced senselessly, but the music will continue to live as long as we keep sharing its love with the world. paz

12/11/2007 7:40 PM  
Blogger Fran Invernoz said...

Baby don´t cry, it has been good to remembre Antonio Aguilar. Your blog is interesting, I'll continue reading it. Happy Christmas and Happy New Year, really.

12/21/2007 5:51 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Thank you, Martín. I will dance instead of crying. I'm glad you stopped by. A very Happy Christmas and New Year to you, too, my friend.

12/21/2007 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home