La Mariposa en la Pared

The everyday experiences of latino immigrants through the eyes of an outsider. Las vidas típicas de unos inmigrantes latinos a través de los ojos de una forastera.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate NY, United States

"To me it’s always interesting when you get accepted somewhere you don’t really belong. It’s interesting when people open up and let you in their world." - Gilles Mingasson

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Unapologetic Love

Death is, in a way, a blessing to those of us who remain. It reminds us how short and precious life is. It keeps us from drifting too far away from what matters the most. Death gives us an opportunity to stop for a minute and think of the people we love, people we take for granted every day, people who may not be here for us tomorrow.

I see death pass me on all sides, causing awful holes in the lives of people I know. Gone are mothers, brothers, husbands, children. I'm sorry for those who have lost someone they love.

Just this morning alone, I've been told to be my best, for God and myself. Ask forgiveness, offer a balm for an unnecessary hurt. Thank you, Tim Chavez, for being a voice for the voiceless, and for writing as long as you could.

Thank you, Luis Urrea, for reaching out in your time of sadness and loss to those of us who need the reminder: Don't wait another minute to tell someone you love them.
..if you love somebody, tell them now. If you're mad at them, get over it. If you miss them, write them or call them. Tomorrow might not come around in time. Love them now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Thanks for this, truly. I just had a stupid arguement with B last night, and this helped resolve it! The arguement now seems silly and petty.

Dave

6/21/2009 4:34 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Dave, I'm glad this helped. It seems like I hear this lesson over & over, not to take people for granted, but it's so easy to forget sometimes. We always have a choice when it comes to how we treat those around us, and love is always the best way. It never hurts to just say it, either, even if we think they already know.

6/21/2009 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home